I went to
Freedom Weekend Aloft in Simpsonville, SC to chase balloons with my friend Candi aka
Emma's mom, who I work with. She helps a friend of hers here with his balloon: Rising Stars.

We left town Friday (after the last day of school) and drove up to meet most of the rest of the chase team. When we got to Simpsonville this was the sight that greeted us....

Lots and lots of hot air balloons floating through the air! This was only some of them, it was hard to get pictures of all of them.

The tulip balloon (obviously :) )


After we helped get the balloon packed up we went out to eat. Then got ready for the morning flight (Saturday) at 5:30 AM!!! As were getting the balloon ready, I got tapped on the shoulder and told to hop in the basket....I was going to take my first hot air balloon ride!!! So up we went....

This was just a few pictures of the view we had from the air. As soon as we popped up in the air the fog rolled in and we disappeared into it. We were supposed to playing a game (dropping a sandbag in a small swimming pool for money or on an X for points) but the game got cancelled because of the fog :(

So we kept on floating through the air (for about 3 miles) until we landed (hard) at a Ford Dealership.
After that we went back to the field so that I could go through the first flight ritual of drinking champagne (without my hands) and getting a certificate and hot air balloon pin.
Nothing like cold champagne (poured all over myself) at 7:45 in the morning!!

We got to fly again Saturday night, but Sunday and Monday's flight's were cancelled due to the rain.

The Rising Stars Balloon Team showing off the new t-shirts!

It was a fun and exciting weekend! I hope I get to have the adventure again! My empty bottle of champagne, signed by all the crew, documenting my first balloon flight. Next to it is a miniuature hot air balloon made from the cork and wrapper from the bottle.

Tomorrow night we get to fly a new bride and groom from thier wedding! That will be really cool!
No comments:
Post a Comment